Sunday, July 11, 2010

Alice's Taste Kitchen (episode one)

Ok, so on Sundays I shall blog about a stolen or borrowed recipe. I won't ever pretend to "create" something... and if I ever CAN create food I'll totally toot my own horn, but don't hold your breath... I like you too much to lose you that way. The idea behind my Taste Kitchen is for me to hunt down something that seems to be uber yummy on a website, in a cookbook, or amongst my family cooking repertoire... make it, photograph it, eat it and share with you some lessons that might make it EASIER for you to make it.... thus providing you... my wonderful followers with the Internet equivalent of that poor schmuck who had to taste the King's food in the olden days so as to ensure that poisoning was not afoot:)


**** A few things you should know about me before you read any further. I started dating my husband in March of 2006... I have cooked no more than 15 meals since that meeting... the man can cook... none of it is any good for you... but it is generally delicious... during the course of my first food blog experiment he totally ripped a lemon from my hands once, and also just HAD TO whisk the batter for me. This is quite the experiment... in rekindling my cooking ability... in seeing if my marriage can withstand me venturing into our cramped, cluttered kitchen with my husband nearby:) ****


Today's offering.... Lemon Raspberry Bars... from twopeasintheirpod.com The link for the recipe is: http://twopeasintheirpod.com/lemon-raspberry-bars/


Here's what you need:



Please note that I chose to not use graham crackers. I hate graham cracker crust in all forms... though I like graham crackers in general (feel free to discuss this anomaly amongst yourselves)... so I always, always, always substitute shortbread cookies. Normally Lorna Doone's... they didn't have those at WalMart today so I bought Sandies. Please note that I used 4 cookies short of a row to get the exact measurement needed (I'm there for you... it shows... doesn't it). Just pop those cookies in a ziplock... and pound them until the lambs stop screaming.....


Combine 1 1/2 cups shortbread cookie crumbs, 6 tablespoons of butter (I used unsalted), 1/4 cup sugar, and the zest of a lemon. (**see the what I learned section below in case you are a zesting virgin). Smoosh this into the bottom of a greased 8x8 pan.


Bake it for 10 minutes. DO NOT TURN YOUR OVEN OFF... there is more baking to be done. Let the crust cool. Once cool, make your filling.


Grab one can of Sweetened Condensed Milk, and 2 fresh egg yolks...



Whip 'em together

Stir in 1/2 cup of fresh lemon juice and 1 teaspoon of lemon zest... whip them until it starts to thicken.... Please note that I do not have man hands. THIS is my husband stepping in once I complained about my arm being tired... chivalry is not dead:)





gently fold in your berries... you don't want to smoosh them and turn your bars all pink.





Pop them in the oven for 15 minutes...




Cool them for a bit... pop them in the refrigerator and chill them for at least an hour. Once chilled, top them with a dab of whipped cream and a berry... Ummm, pretty:)



THINGS I LEARNED:


1. Yellow things are pretty in pictures:-P



2. When a recipe calls for lemon zest... you should zest a lemon onto a cutting board.... then chop it up super fine so people don't get zesty teeth. (Thanks, Mom, for the assist:)






3. I need a new can opener as mine will not cut the full circumference of a can, a new lemon squeezer, and a prettier 8x8 pan... also a better lens for photographing food....





4. People think you are stupid when you dip your finger into a batter with 1/2 cup of lemon juice and a bunch of zest... pop it in your mouth... pucker up and say "eeek, that's lemony". I mean, I guess that was kind of obvious.



5. Raspberry Lemon Bars are yummers.... and when the recipe says to let them chill for an hour it doesn't mean 35 minutes... even if you are REALLY ready to take a picture of the bars. It MEANS it.... so don't mess with that timeline... if you know what I mean....



NEXT WEEK: My Mamaw's Peanut Butter Pie.... Swooon.

No comments:

Post a Comment