Monday, July 19, 2010

Alice's Taste Kitchen: The Greatest Peanut Butter Pie Evah...



I said EVAH!!!

Ok. So, as promised here is my Mamaw's pie. A pie served at every seminal family gathering my entire childhood... and one of my favorite comfort foods of all time (albeit a sugar shock sweetness of a comfort food.)

Here's what you need:


1 c. powdered sugar
1/2 c. peanut butter
1/4 c. cornstarch
3 eggs
2 Tblspns butter
2/3 c. sugar
1/4 tsp salt
2 c. milk
1 tsp vanilla
one pie shell
whipping cream (or egg whites and cream of tartar to make meringue)

You will note in this ingredient picture that I DONT have cream of tartar. merinque makes me gag. I always picked it off every pie my Mamaw made and topped the pie with Cool Whip. In my adulthood, I choose cream over oil, and opt for real deal whipping cream... but if you <3 meringue... go for it...just don't bring your pie over to my house:)

bake your pie shell for an open top pie. My Great Grandma Alice's pies are the stuff of lore... and apparently she could make crust from scratch by dumping lard into a pile of flour and just mixing them together. I didn't get that skill in the gene pool.... soooo, thank you Pillsbury for making the best darned premade crust on the market.

Combine your peanut butter and powdered sugar.

Fork them together into a clumpy consistency as shown. I normally have an addiction to JIF peanut butter... but for this pie I always buy generic. My grandma always had generic or Peter Pan... so I it only tastes right if I make it that way:)

Put one half of the pb/powdered sugar mixture into the cooled, baked shell.

Make your pudding:) and the proof IS in the pudding... YUM> Ok. Heat 2 cups of milk and then add in a mixture of your sugar, salt, and cornstarch.


Then mix in a mix of 3 egg yolks, (toss the whites if you aren't making meringue), melted butter, and vanilla.
Cook until thick.

Pour over powdered sugar and peanut butter in the shell.

Top with the rest of your peanut butter and powdered sugar combo.

Place in the fridge until cold:) Top with whipped cream.... enjoy:)

if you are a meringue person.... you can put the second half of the crumbles on top of the meringue)


Happy Pie Eatin', Loves:)

No comments:

Post a Comment